Friday, December 09, 2005

overkill

I don’t like when things are matchy.
I used to like matchy things.
But now I don’t like things that are matchy.

I saw a girl yesterday wearing a pink hat, a dark pink coat, a brown shirt, khaki pants with a pink sash, and pink shoes. All shades of pink were slightly different and, in any other context, would have complemented each other quite nicely. But this particular combination was, to quote a beloved Westminster alumna, “heinous.” The sad thing is that she’s not alone in this ostensibly “fashionable” trend. Even the college-sweatshirt crowd matches. Baby blue sweatshirt, jeans, baby blue shoes, make-up. Why bother looking “grungy” if you have make your “grunginess” match? Besides, make-up and sweatshirts do not mix.

All things in moderation.

It’s funny how when things are too carefully contrived, they look fake. Cardboard cut-outs in a two-dimensional world.

I used to be matchy. In fact, I once o.d’d on being matchy. And organized. Even my organizational supplies had to match. I don’t think you would have liked me very much…maybe you don’t now, but that doesn’t bother me. Pink chair, pink and green bedspread, green trashcan, green storage bins, pink and green pencil cases, pink, green, pink, green, green, pink, green, pink.

I don’t even like pink….

…But things just had to match.

Don’t get me wrong, I approve when things match. Christmas would be rather dull without the reds and greens and silvers and golds. Weddings would be quite ostentatious of participants came clad in corsets and togas and fighter pilots uniforms. Some things need to match.

But not all things have to match.

That’s why I’m quite fond of the young British lad in Love Actually. His sweaters are pretty cool…

No comments: