Sunday, January 08, 2006

belated post...whoops.

sue me. i wrote this a day ago and didn't post it until now. it's still something...so i hope.

I walked into my old Olive Starbucks—my haven during second hour senior year—with grand thoughts of writing, coffee, and reading. As I walked in the grandness sort of disappeared…but maybe it was never there to begin with. It’s just a Starbucks. My Starbucks. I’d be joking if I tried to make it into something special. By Jove it’s a commercial chain!

I guess that’s why I like it. At least this one, on Olive. It’s something familiar and ordinary. The atmosphere isn’t overpowering…if it were something fancy then I would be too distracted to write, for I would be staring at the walls. If it were something fancy then I would be too distracted to listen to my Death Cab for Cutie cd, because the overhead music would be so strikingly, ethereally beautiful. If it were something fancy then all of those English papers would have gone unwritten…all of those conversations with Jules would have gone left unhad.

Maybe I’m just trying to excuse myself for not finding a coffeehouse treasure.

That’s why I’m going to go to Chile. I hear they like coffeehouses down there…

(Besides, I want to go to South America.)

Hmm, I digress.

I would like to read today. I started six different books at various points over the break, and now I am deeply absorbed in Memoirs of a Geisha and nearly half-way through the 2nd book of the Narnia Chronicles. I’ll read about Prince Caspian and Cair Paraval and the dwarves and fauns and Old creatures, and then I’ll set down one world and become a Geisha. (Although I don’t aspire to be a geisha, which is essentially a decorated Japanese whore). It’s nice, fantasy interspersed with a very real Japanese culture. The latter is so foreign to me that it might as well be fantasy. But it’s not. And when juxtaposed with something that is…it’s brilliant.

I have lots of other things that I would like to write about, but I’m going to wait until I feel inspired again…maybe in a couple of hours. The longest time I’ve spent at a Starbucks has been four and a half hours. I wonder if I could supersede that.

Right now: twenty six minutes and counting.

(the courtney of the present is now writing. the courtney of the past left starbucks after an hour or so. she got restless. besides, john never showed up. and all of the couches were taken. therein lies the true reason for her departure...)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

haha! So, here it is :)
Thanks for posting it.
I've already pulled that trick where I write one and then trail off and never finish it. It's been a while since I wrote it, and I've completely abandoned it.
You must have a pretty nifty computer to be able to do this while you're on a road trip. I hope you're doing well.

Sometimes people express a desire to be able to transport instantaneously to where they're going. I've thought such things too. However, now I believe that you need that travel time in order for the transition to sink in psychologically. It's a good time to think. Even plane rides are a little short. You aren't in touch at all with all that space in between where you're coming from and where you're going to. You have no idea where you've just been...