Thursday, May 31, 2007

finally

It's time.

I just ordered two lenses for my digital SLR. Granted, they are relatively cheap and won't last me very long professionally speaking, but they'll work just fine.

I've taken three weeks off from photography. It wasn't really planned, but I was so burned out after one of the most grueling semesters ever, photo-wise. Plus, I had to turn in all of the J-school's camera equipment (which is, usually, one of the saddest days of the year! thousands of dollars worth of beautiful equipment at my fingertips for (essentially) free. It's one of the wonderful things about Carolina's photojournalism program...there is so much money circulating that school!) Anyways, so come summer vacation, and I have no good equipment, one broken lens, and a really exhausted artistic spirit. That equals...a photo hiatus.

It was definitely a good thing for me...much needed. But right now I am looking at Women in Photojournalism best of show photographs...beautiful, inspiring art, and I am wanting so badly to just take pictures. To get back at it.

Photography is like poetry for me. I wish I could be a song-writer or the next William Carlos Williams, but I just don't have the gift for that. I want to immerse myself in a world of beauty and contrasts, in a world slowed down by the quick opening and closing of my camera's shutter.

No comments: