Sunday, November 27, 2005

I changed my mind.

So there’s this quote from Sister Act 2 that I’m way too lazy to look up online. Roughly paraphrased, it says something like “If when you wake up in the morning and all you can think about it singing, then you should be a singer.”

What a great quote.

Actually, it’s kind of bogus.

Who thinks about just one thing? When I woke up this morning I thought a newspaper’s worth of words, complaints, and a good share of those really random pointless thoughts that humans just ignore, but really, those are what make us real people and not super-focused robots.

Here’s what my morning looked like (All of these thoughts overlap like in those 3D movies where you wear sexy plastic glasses):

“It’s too early” “I skipped church again” “Colleen is talking a lot upstairs” “I feel like saying ‘hella tight’” “crap, colleen is leaving and I’m not going to have a hairbrush or any of those essential bathroom necessities that I didn’t pack” “harry potter’s hair is ridiculous…”

And so the list goes on. None of those thoughts are profound. SUE ME.

If you wake up each morning inebriated with life, romanticizing the future, and gushing molasses-like insights about “Your Spiritual Path” or “Your Great Plans for Life” then call me so I can laugh at you.

I used to be like that.

Actually, I was like that a few days ago. My first blog entry reeks of unrealistic sappiness.

So here’s my conclusion: “Thinking” is not the solution. Neither is a single, driving passion. And while I can’t fully embrace the carpe diem mindset, I think it is realistic than Whoopi’s schmaltzy conception of passion.

Life should not be a tragedy. Catharsis is only so helpful. I think I am finished with that mindset…I think I ought to embrace Comedy a bit more. And I don’t really feel like ending this with a profound statement, because that defeats the purpose of Comedy, of laughter, of sheer stupidity and randomness.

I hope what I have said doesn’t change your life. That would be retarded. I’m only eighteen, and I’m pretty naïve. So are you.

No comments: